WHO WE ARE
Plasma For Life is a growing organization launching an awareness campaign devoted to making plasma therapy patient voices heard in the debate about paid plasma donations. We support the legalization of paid plasma donations in order to help increase the global plasma supply for the patients who rely on it.
Plasma For Life was initiated by Kate van der Meer, a plasma therapy patient who was burdened by plasma product shortage in Canada. After researching the Canadian and global plasma supply chain and hearing from other patients around the world affected by shortages, it became clear that Canada (and the world) needs paid plasma.
After sharing her story with ethicist & paid plasma advocate, Peter Jaworski, they have united to advocate for change and protect other patients.
WHY SUPPORT PAID PLASMA DONATIONS?
• To give patients reliable access to plasma-derived medicine they need to maintain their health, slow disease progression and protect their lives
• To show appreciation for donors' time and contribution
• Because paying donors is the only proven way to dramatically increase plasma collection and help keep up to the growing demand
• Because the great majority of the plasma used globally comes from PAID donors (The US alone contributes about 76% of the global supply)
• Because paying domestic donors puts money back into the domestic economy instead of paying to import from the US
• To grow a domestic plasma industry which creates job opportunities and better control of safety standards
• Because allowing private commercial plasma companies to operate means the cost of building plasma collection centres and fractionation plants would be covered by private companies instead of tax payers
• Because the same safety regulations apply to paid and unpaid plasma collection centres, meaning paid plasma is just as safe
• To contribute to the global diversity of supply
• To contribute our fair share to the global supply. Canada has a safe blood system yet only collects about 13% of the domestic plasma needed. The rest is imported from the US
START A PETITION
Click the link for a petition template. The template can be edited to suit your province. Each page of signatures must have the petition body at the top. You will need a minimum of 25 signatures to submit to your local MPP/MLA
SHARE YOUR STORY
If you are a plasma therapy patient and would like to share your story, whether you have been affected by shortages or just simply to show the difference plasma therapy has made in your life, please contact us on any of our social media pages or email
Help us gain resources to better spread the word!